A LOOK AT TIGERTON MAIN STREET COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS THROUGHOUT THE YEARS
Aside from the restoration of the 1905 Village Hall, Tigerton Main Street, Inc. has also tackled several other community improvement projects in the past several years. Here are a few of the many projects our Main Street Program has worked on since its inception.
In 1998, Tigerton Main Street started an "Adopt A Street Light Program" where people could "adopt" a new street light for downtown Tigerton for $1000.00. Eighteen streetlights were installed downtown. This project was done in cooperation with our local electric coop-Central Wisconsin Electric Cooperative. The distinctive historic design of the lights was chosen to compliment the historic appearance of many of our downtown buildings. Six additional lights were added in 2000 and nine more in 2002. In 2007, three more were added on the new Spaulding/Cedar Street bridge. In all, 36 new streetlights were installed in the downtown area along Spaulding/Cedar Street (our main street) and also several side streets. Flags and poles were added later, also through the "adoption" program
PLANTERS AND BENCHES
Tigerton Main Street is also responsible for the placement of planters and benches along Cedar Street in our downtown area. In the summer, beautiful flowers are maintained in these planters, to brighten up our business district. Area volunteers water are responsible for watering and weeding the flowers in the planters. During the winter months, these planters are decorated with evergreen boughs and poinsettias. These are the second set of planters and benches that Tigerton Main Street has placed in our downtown area since 1994.
An Information Kiosk was built in 2001 to provide tourists with information about what is available in the Tigerton area. The kiosk is located in the lot of the Embarrass River Travel Center and was built by Main Street volunteers. It is fully lighted and is weatherproof to keep brochures and other information dry, yet readily accessible.
TIGERTON COMMUNITY CENTER WELCOME SIGNS
In 2006, Tigerton Main Street added "Welcome" signs to the front and back of the Tigerton Community Center. These signs feature a logo for Tigerton showing a silhouette of the 1905 Village Hall with the words "Tigerton Est. 1896-Welcome". It also tells people that the building serves as the community center, senior center, library and village clerk's office. The areas around the sign were also nicely landscaped. Main Street volunteers also completed this project.
Tigerton Main Street has also placed concrete Tigers in front of the "Welcome to Tigerton" signs along U.S. Hwy 45 from both the north and the south. These Tigers welcome people as they drive along highway 45 through our village and draw attention to the "Welcome" signs that were paid for by the Tigerton Advancement Association.
As part of National Join Hands Day in 2008, Tigerton Main Street tackled a renovation project at the Gazebo Park in downtown Tigerton. The park was entirely redone, including repairing and re-sealing the Gazebo and other benches and swings, redoing all the pathways as well as adding a new one, and also freshening up all the flower beds. This was accomplished through a $500.00 grant from Thrivent Financial as well as numerous donations from local businesses and individuals.
These are just a few of the many projects Tigerton Main Street has been involved in throughout the years. Tigerton Main Street, Inc. has also provided grants to local businesses for business front improvements and new signage. Main Street volunteers have also helped to provide technical assistance with building renovations and also with grant writing.